Wednesday 30 April 2014

Mystic powers or just coincidence?

I've been reading Stewart Lee's book How I Escaped My Certain Fate.

From previous experience of blogging about comics, I want to be careful not to upset anyone by making my opinion look like it's a declaration of fact, thereby implying that anyone who disagrees with me must be somewhat lacking in intelligence.

So I won't say it's a great book. I'll just say it's very much to my taste and I personally derived a great amount of enjoyment from reading it. Other tastes may vary.

Buy a copy. Read it. If you enjoy it then you can be reasonably confident that you have similar taste to me when it comes to books written by comedians.

But that's not what I want to write about.

On pages 277-8, he mentions a folk singer called Sally Barker. At the time I was reading it, she was a finalist on the BBC1 programme The Voice.

Personally (here we go again), I found her singing was very much to my taste. But I liked Jermain Jackman (who eventually won) too. And the other finalists. It was a happy programme to watch - thinking that all of the finalists were excellent singers, they all appeared to be great people and that, therefore, an excellent singer who was a great person was bound to win.

Some days later, I watched an episode of Lilyhammer.  It stars Steve Van Zandt, guitarist with the E-Street Band and actor. That very night, I reached page 316 of Stewart's book, in which he mentions Steve Van Zandt.

But what does it all mean?

(a) nothing - it's just a coincidence

(b) Stewart (or, perhaps, a spirit residing in his book) has mystic powers and I should open the book at random in order to receive guidance at any point in my life. (This will be tricky since it's a library book and, if the spirit only resides in this copy, then in another week I will have to make my way without guidance since I can't keep renewing it indefinitely.)

Why not vote? Send me a message with 'a' or 'b'.

Before you rush to vote 'a', consider this: faiths have been established on flimsier premises. But none that I'm brave enough to name.

And before you rush to vote 'b', consider that fact that I just randomly turned to page 122 and couldn't fathom how any of it could help me with my day. Perhaps I just need someone more spiritual to help me interpret.

No comments: