Wednesday 10 September 2008

the kindness of strangers

I can only apologise to my loyal readers for the dearth of fresh exciting content on this blog. As mitigation, I can only say that I have become lost in authonomy (see previous post) and that reading the work of others, together with writing the occasional comment, has been taking up the spare time which I would previously have devoted to this blog.

As an online writers' circle, it is a truly wonderful thing, a thing of beauty, etc - since it is replete with examples of the kindness of strangers. Every time that anyone has commented on another's work, the notes have been constructive. This is not a land of yah-boo-sucks, it is a veritable mutual appreciation society. Whether anything will come of it remains to be seen but, even if it does not lead to publication, it is a good 'place' to spend time.

Incidentally, I hope that you already know all of the above, having signed up with http://www.authonomy.com/ and begun backing books, sprinking around kind words and generally getting your views out there and valued - so that when I finally add my work, you can all wax lyrical and people (i.e. the Harper Collins editorial board) will take note and... You may complete that sentence in your own way.

I am, inexorably, moving closer to having maybe as much as six hours each week in order to peddle my writing, drone on at great length on this blog, bother other writers with my ill-thought-out guidance and inflict my own books on the world. Yes, N today spent two full nursery hours without my being in the room (although, admittedly, I was all of about twenty yards away in the park café). Next week, at 9.15am on Tuesday, I shall leave her to fun and games and learning and excitement and wonder and a bit of singing with Chris playing the guitar (whoever he may be) and I shall run to my car, drive like a maniac back home, make myself a cup of tea and probably sit down and not achieve anything much while feeling that the flat is very quiet. But on Wednesday, I shall achieve.

No comments: