Tuesday 30 September 2008

so many trivial things to do, so little time

This will, of necessity, be a short entry - probably riddled with typographic errors for which I make no excuses except lack of time which is why it is going to be a short entry. The same shoddy excuse applies to the lack of action on this blog for the last six days.

Nevertheless, I bring exciting news and, more surprisingly, it's even on the much neglected supposedly main topic of this blog. Last Thursday, I spend about three (or was it four?) hours concocting the perfect email to a literary agent. I put my heart, soul, collar size and kitchen sink into it. I wrote it to Nathan Bransford, whose own blog, hosted, possibly (well, slight chance), on the very same physical disk as this one, made me realise that plenty of agents are human.

Having finished and sat back to wallow in smugness (risky to do on a kneel-up chair with no back to it), I thought I would click on his 'how to write a query' entry on his own blog. Having realised that I had broken every rule, and not even paid heed to his advice and suggestions, I then added the following:

Looking back at your advice on writing queries, I have probably broken all the rules, and not necessarily in a good way. However, I believe that one should always try to stand out from the crowd and to be true to oneself. I am not someone who feels comfortable sending short, dry and dull emails and hope that you find this lengthy outpouring entertaining. I certainly feel that, after spending several hours putting it all together, I might as well send it and see what happens!

So I shall now stop, but only after reassuring you that the writing style here, involving tortuous long sentences and wilful meandering, is significantly reined back in my books.
Unfortunately, I then read my own email again (more carefully this time) and realised that I hadn't actually written very much about my own books (yes, that should have been the main thrust of the email - don't ask what I had blathered on about instead) - and that it could qualify as the most insane thing I had ever written. At this point, I parked the email in Outlook's drafts folder and, smugness deflated, went out to do something else. In years to come, this email may be held up as an example of precisely how not to contact a literary agent in exactly the same way that the screen test that Jools Holland and Paula Yates did for 'The Tube' is used to show aspiring television-types how not to make a programme. 'The Tube' ran for several years with them hosting so maybe I should send my email anyway.

Before I go to extricate Derek from the washing machine after his annual bath, imagine that you are standing in your kitchen, staring out of the window at a gradually darkening sky as evening descends into twilight. Suddenly, a flash of lightning outside and a monstrous shape appears. Yes, Mr Grass-Head is on tour, part Gary Rhodes, part Mark Lamarr, coming to a kitchen near you...

No comments: